I think it has been over 10 years since I wrote my first ‘Hello World’ in Java and this week I became certified in Java by Oracle.
A few co-workers were putting together a study group so I joined in. I am a sucker for some social geekery.
I have a love hate relationship with Java.
- that there are so many things out there written in Java. Java has a huge resource pool to draw from, including code, applications, tutorials and people.
- that the JVM is being used for tons of new and creative things.
- that it does a lot of stuff well.
- that it is harder then it needs to be.
- the community isn’t innovating much lately.
- that Larry seems to be set on destroying anything good about it.
- eclipse and generally any windows desktop app written in java.
Well off to learn some more Ruby